- Candidates must be faculty at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Candidates for the Carol D. Soc Distinguished Graduate Student Mentoring Award must have held the rank of associate professor, full professor, or non-senate faculty equivalent for at least five years as of the deadline for nomination.
- Candidates for the Carol D. Soc Distinguished Graduate Student Mentoring Award for Early Career Faculty must hold the rank of assistant professor, associate professor or non-senate faculty equivalent for no more than five years as of the deadline for nominations.
- Nominations may come from department chairs, faculty colleagues, or former students of the nominee who have received their terminal graduate degree as of the due date for nominations. Supporting letters from others may be added to the file for each nominee. In the past, successful packages included supporting letters from students, former students, colleagues, and others familiar with the mentoring work of the nominee.
Nominations must be received by Friday, January 29, 2021 at 5 p.m. without exception. Nominations will now be submitted electronically to a Box folder.
- Please signify your intent to nominate here in advance of submitting your nomination packet. You will then be invited to a Box folder where you can submit your nomination.
- Please complete the nomination cover sheet.
- The nominator who completes the cover sheet should also write the lead nomination letter.
- Combine the cover sheet with one (1) nominations letter and up to eight (8) letters of support in one packet. The nomination letter and support letters can be collaborative or written by more than one person. (A team approach for these is very effective.)
- Upload a single PDF (combined cover sheet and letters) to the nominator’s Box folder.
- Letters should
- be combined into a single PDF, along with the cover sheet.
- use the naming convention: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME-2021_SOCNOM.PDF
- be on official letterhead (where appropriate)
- be signed and dated
- include contact information of the author (name, email, organization)
- All nominations are confidential; however, their redacted content may be used for publicity purposes in campus publications (as excerpts) and at the Graduate Mentoring Awards Ceremony.
If you have questions about these submission guidelines, please contact Jane Fink at the Graduate Division at email@example.com or at 510-643-9164.